Popular Posts

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

My First Book (likely to be my only book)

Wow, I already have a follower for this blog!  How cool is that!  Hi there pilgrim.
Since this is only my second post, dear readers forgive me if the content isn't what you want to see yet.
The blog is named after my first and likely only published book.  Well it is not yet published, look for it in e-book and soft cover in March.  Let me tell you why I wrote the book.
After my second Camino last year, September 2010, I came home only to find that I had left part of me back on the Camino Portuguese and I longed to return to make me whole again.  I had the same feeling when I returned from my first Camino in May/June 2009.  This year I decided that I would allow part of me to stay on the Camino by writing a book for the Camino Pilgrim Wanna-be.  So after thinking through what and why I wanted to write, I sat down in front of my computer and let it all hang out - so to speak,
What came out was a series of tips for the Wanna-be Pilgrim on what to take, how to get there, what happens when you are there, how to get back home, eating and sleeping on the cheap, and so on.
Most of what came to mind to write about was answers to questions I had before I went in 2009.  In addition, I wanted to write what I had learned about footware, backpacks, sleeping bags, water containers, earplugs. 
OMG I could not survive the Camino without earplugs.  I have 20 years experience using earplugs, thanks to my dear loud husband.  I will say that I am an expert on selecting and using earplugs.
So, in this blog I will be supplying information on my experiences with hiking shoes, socks, insoles, backpacks, camel-backs as I already said.  You can ask me questions about stuff but you must remember that I can only talk from my own experience, I am only an expert on earplugs.
In my book I wrote text covering the subject at hand, but what really works in the book is the "Tip" I place in each section.  I am going to give you one now.
Tip:  Buying Your Gear
There are really great outdoor clothing and gear stores all over the world in every medium sized to large sized city.  I believe the majority of staff in these stores know their products.  For example, I love Mountain Equipment Co-Op here in Canada.  REI and Cabelas in the USA are top notch.  However, when it comes to getting advise from the staff about your items such as boots, shoes, backpacks, sleeping bags etc.  remember this THESE PEOPLE LIKELY HAVE NOT WALKED WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO WALK OR RODE THE TERRAIN WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO RIDE ON THE CAMINO.
So, having said that, I suggest you talk to bloggers like me and join Forums like www.caminodesantiago.com
to learn about what you should buy.  Then, and only then do you shop.

So long for now dear reader
No Blisters Allowed!

No comments:

Post a Comment