Popular Posts

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Take Your Time on your Camino

When I did my first Camino across the Frances route, I believed I had to walk every step of the way.  The adventure was awesome, don't get me wrong even though some days were brutal.  On my second camino on the Portuguese I took subway trains, buses and even a taxi!  What a relief these interludes were.

So why do I bring this up.  Well, we all go to our camino with a time frame.  We have to be there on a certain date, end on a certain date and everything in between can be all about getting there.  If we are no careful we can miss the moments.

My dear Maggie had it right the first time.  If she found places and people she didn't want to leave.   She stayed and caught up a few days later.  I had to move every day, that's just me but now looking back she drank in the whole reason for her camino.  She slowed down and enjoyed.

When you are planning your camino, you too will be on a schedule.  At least the start and finish schedule.  But I suggest you take advantage of the wonderful transportation system in Spain and Portugal and in all of Europe for that matter.  Slow down, take a rest, stay a while, enjoy the view. 

You will not be able to register for more than one night at a municipal albergue unless you have a doctor's note saying you need to rest.  If you find a place where you want to stay, you can be sure there will be a private albergue or a hotel that you can stay at for more than one night. 

One day on the CF my sister-in-law mentioned to me how beautiful the poppies were that day.  I had not noticed until I stopped and looked around.  She was right.  Here is what I wrote in the hour or so that I sat looking at the view.

The poppies are beautiful this morning.
Springing up in little bouquets out of their red dirt albergues
Faces toward the sun.
They share their dormitories with wild thyme and rosemary
that leave their fragrances on our boots
as we brush by.



No Blisters allowed!

1 comment: