Popular Posts

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Your Camino Purpose

Oliver Shroer was a Pilgrim of the Camino Frances in the spring of 2004.  I mention him because of his beautiful music he recorded along his journey.  Oliver knew he was going to die, he had leukemia. 

He and some friends walked the 1000 Km. recording Oliver's music in churches, chapels, town squares and beside the ocean.  His music, it is said, came from his universal music muse.  He incorporated the sounds of steeple bells, cow and sheep bells in the fields, the click click click of Pilgrim's walking sticks on the cobble stones in Santiago and the voices of Pilgrims and shop keepers as he went along.

Oliver's most acclaimed piece seems to be "Field of Stars".  Oliver past away a year or so ago but not before recording a number of beautiful CDs.

I don't intend this to be a downer.  I introduce Oliver Shroer and his story as an inspiration to us all.  You can read more about him on the web.

Oliver had a specific calling to the Camino Frances it seems.  Most of us are not so clear about our reasons to carry out a Camino.  The word "Camino" in Spanish means many things.  The google translator lists the following meanings of the Spanish word:  road, journey, trail, path, avenue, course, distance, way, and there are more literal translations.   Journey is the only word for me in those translations that speeks to why most of us want to go.

"Journey" in the English language can be a physical, spiritual or emotional trip.  The WHYAM I DOING THIS? with regards to the Camino de Santiago is very personal.  Many of us Pilgrims go with one purpose and come back realizing that we have accomplished something far greater than we had expected.  That certainly was my experience.  I first learned about the Camino de Santiago about 10 years ago through Shirley MacLean's book, El Camino.  It was typical of Shirley in those days, very meta-physical, full of out of body experiences.   What fun and what a kook I thought.  Then I heard about Oliver and I got his music as a gift from a dear friend.  Wow, I thought, I need more info.  So of course I went to the web only to find thousand's of pieces of information on the subject.

Some years later I wanted to have a trip with my sister-in-law and since she was also very active and willing to do such a journey we agreed to do it together.
So my reason to go was, well because it was there.  Additionally I would be spending time with someone I really like, it was in a warm setting, and it was a physical challenge.
What I actually received after the journey was so amazing.  Peace.  Peace in my head, heart and body like I never experienced before.  My Camino was out of my hands.  My Camino was part of what the universe wanted for me as my next step to knowing myself better to allow me to grow spiritually.
I WOULD NEVER HAVE GUESSED!

Since my first camino I have enjoyed a great sense of well being.  My life has improved in so many ways. 

But more on that later.

Gotta go walk the dogs, they are breathing in my face.

Good luck with your purpose.

No Blisters Allowed!

No comments:

Post a Comment