Popular Posts

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Camino Popularity Growing - Then So Is Joy

On the weekend I met a woman who wants to walk the Camino Frances.  We had a lovely talk about it and then she said that she was "worried" about the increase in the numbers of pilgrims as the popularity of the Camino is growing.
The Camino Frances is popular, no doubt.  If crowds are a thing that might keep you from an incredible life experience of walking El Camino, then look for an alternative to the Camino Frances.  The numbers are growing on all caminos, last year alone, being a Holy Year, saw a jump in May of about 13,000 Pilgrims from the previous Holy Year in 2004.  The September stats show about a 9,000 increase from Holy Year to Holy Year.
(I am looking for access to better stats for you to review if you are interested and will post the link when I get it.)
In the meantime, here is what I said to my "worried" friend.  "We must remember that the Camino crowds are not like a shopping mall crowds or downtown city street crowds.  These people are there with joy in their hearts.  They want to be there and they share the cause of walking the Camino with every Pilgrim they see.  Albergues and hotels get busy but there is always a place to stay and always something to eat.  Do not let "worry" stop you from enjoying your life to the fullest no matter what you need or want."
Some where along these past few years, I discovered that "worry" is not worth the trouble.  I have no idea how this happened but I just stopped worrying.  How sweet it is!
The growing popularity of the Camino de Santiago is a blessing to us all.  For those of you reading this who walked and came back a changed-for-the-better person,  do you not agree the more Pilgrims that walk, the more joy and peace we might have in the world?

At a recent seminar a wonderful Reiki Master told us to remember these words and to live by them as best we can.

Just for today...

I will not be angry
I will not worry
I will be grateful
I will be kind
I will work on my meditation practice.


Each day is a new start.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you Bev. Last year I climbed Kilimanjaro and I got so sick of hearing from people how busy the mountain is, how dirty everything is etc., etc., etc. I decided that I was going to go ahead anyway - I AM SO GLAD I DID! Yes, the route was busy and yes there were places that really could have been been cleaner but all in all, it was a magical SHARED experience and I discovered things about myself and my own capabilities that money can't buy! I would do it again tomorrow if I had the opportunity! I feel exactly the same about the Camino. Thx for a lovely blog!!

    ReplyDelete