Popular Posts

Friday, February 18, 2011

What's in Your Camino Library?

Still on the book theme, I wanted to pass along some of my thoughts on what you might want to read before you go on your Camino.

My new book aside...(Sorry, a little ego showing here AND A BIG LAUGH PLEASE) I would caution you about what you read.  There are books written about the comino that no longer serve their purpose.  What I mean about this is that they were written before -  let's say 2000, 2005.  When I started my reading before my first Camino, I was struck by the sad tales of trash along the way, nasty or unfriendly people (locals) and untrustworthy pilgrims.  In addition, I was almost deterred by the reports of unavailable accommodation.

To my surprise, 2 of the 3 books I read were by people of the church who had ventured out and reported back.

So, let me say this about that - don't go there.  Today we have a great selection of memoirs.  These books are partially objective but of course they are mostly subjective in nature.  Some are really funny and some are too serious for me.  Many still talk about the graffiti and the garbage along the way.  You will find happy and sad situations being reported and some still commend or blame the host country.

Might I suggest that you take all of this in your stride.  I find that I need to respect the author because the stories they write about are obviously true for them, and I understand that they write about their own experience as they see or remember it.  I love the diversity of experiences and I love the way the experiences are reported.  This century's books on the Camino are alive with a variety of experiences that make you laugh, cry, say OMG, or "get real!"

I may upset some readers by these comments because we all have different tastes in books.  However, the Camino memoirs we buy off the Internet or from the bookstore shelves, contain that pilgrim's, his or her own experience and I will not take it on as mine.

On the Camino forum some people have been disillusioned by some threads that are posted by Pilgrims who have been there - done that.  Each time that happens, other experienced Pilgrims come to the aid of the one who is disillusioned by sending messages of encouragement.  No one wants to put a downer on someone else's Camino.  I, nor the Forum Pilgrims will be there to help you should you come across an upsetting or negative narrative of someone else's experience.  So keep an open mind as you read and always remember

YOUR CAMINO WILL BE YOUR CAMINO!

P.S., the guide and map books are excellent!  Look for the newer editions before you buy!

No comments:

Post a Comment