Popular Posts

Monday, March 7, 2011

Buds on the trees

Yes, spring is coming, there are buds on the trees.

I was thinking this morning of the beautiful difference the seasons make on the earth.  Not that this is an original thought but after all my years, seasonal changes are still profound.  Soon the buds will start to pop and the grass will start to grow.  Flowers will emerge from their winter dormancy just like me. 

I was remembering the beautiful spring days on the Camino Frances.  We were surpriseded that there was so little rain that year for us.  Everywhere we were trees were covering themselves with blossoms, the earth was drinking in the sun's warmth and waking up the plants that became its carpet.

Then I remembered the day going into Zubiri (Day 3) and the mud.  This was a day of rain.  This was an uphill day when all we could do was keep going.  I have a photo of the mud path and I call it "The Mud of the Centuries".  Imagine the ancients walking in those conditions.  We at least had our good boots and shoes, our mud guards or gaiters and apart from being tired, we were fine.  

Anne and I had our breath taken away by the purples, yellows, blues and whites on the mountains going into Galieca.  I think I took more photos that day than any.

Then I thought about Spain in the fall last year.  Everything was green.  The flowers were not as bright and they were fewer.  They had begun to shut down.  BUT, the harvest was about to begin.  Figs, grapes, kiwis, persimmons hung from trees and vines everywhere.  The figs were falling off the trees along the roadside and at one "bar" the vines were growing over our heads with still hard kiwi's waiting for their moment of transition into succulent fruit.

Now I am thinking of transition and how we as pilgrims transform on The Way.  Everyone has their own transformations, some deny any.  But walking even for 2 weeks transforms a part of each of us that we may or may not recognize for a long time.  In addition, I am beginning to believe that part of the difficulties we have returning from our Camino experiences to our everyday life is that we so desperately are trying to bring that "season" of our growth back to an environment that cannot sustain it to its fullest.  We are back in the mud!

But, just like the seasons of the planet, our seasons can and do return to our spirit.  I read just a few minutes ago that the not so great days in our lives can be turned around by changing our perspective.  That is not so easy but neither was (or will be) climbing the Pyrenees but we did it.

So while I am waiting for Spring, I will notice as many buds as I can.  I will watch for the grass peeking up and out of the snow along side the tulip spikes.  I will change my perspective and think about a new season.

Here's to your Spring and to all of us planning our next Camino.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment