Popular Posts

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Inspiration has returned...

O.K., it has been over a month since I wrote something.  I put my absence down to a long winter that has sapped my inspiration!  But wait, I think it is coming back.

A woman who read my book told me that she is now inspired to walk.  Not just walk more and more long distance walks but to walk the Camino.  She loves life and like me she loves to move her body.  She is a champion Dragon Boat paddler, she is preparing to walk a half marathon, she wants to walk across Canada and those are only some of her credentials.  We talked today and she is very excited about the possibility of walking the Camino Portuguese next year.  She will love it.

She has inspired me to write this blog today.

I realised by talking with her that I did not mention anything in my book about "training" for the Camino.  I further realised that it never entered my mind to write about training.  I know why.  I am active by nature.  (I saw that phrase somewhere and have made it mine.)  So by not mentioning training in my book, I did not acknowledge those who will read my book and who are not as active as I am.  So let me correct that now for the few of you who will read this.

Darlene, my new friend, mentioned she would like to get a walking coach.  Because of her paddling and other physical activities that required coaching I assume she felt that a coach is the way to go for walking too.  I know that some organizations are offering classes for people who want to Nordic pole walk.  I know too that many people like the comfort of a watchful eye and helpful feedback.  If I had had a coach for cross country skiing I know I would be better at it than I am - I still cross-country shuffle. But a walking coach?

O.K. let's look at the possibilities.  I think speed walking competitions require coaching.  There are rules that must be followed such as the walker always must have a toe or heel touching the ground.  If not it is considered running and you are disqualified.  That happened to an unfortunate athlete a few summer Olympics ago just 10 or so meters from the finish line.  She, of course, was disqualified and devastated.  Walking with Nordic Poles can be problematic if they are not the right length.  Shoulder and elbow problems can result  if the poles are too short or too long. The proper extension is necessary for healthy joints to stay healthy just like in riding a bike.  If the seat is too low you will not get proper extension of the leg and knee problems will follow over time.

I think the coaching required for long distance walking is not so much about body movement per se but about the equipment you need.  All the great equipment out there can help your walking and your stamina so much when you get it right.  My sister-in-law got bad advice about "the right" shoes for her and her Camino was not a happy one.  I made an error in choosing the back-pack that I used on my first Camino.  I ended up using bungee cords to make it fit right so that my back did not hurt!  Without the right rain gear, poncho, jacket, cape etc, you can be very uncomfortable.

Underwear is an item that is not often talked about when preparing, but boy you don't want ones that ride up!  Seams on everything, including your socks can make you crazy when you can't adjust them properly. 

Hats and sunglasses need to fit and offer the protection you need.  So I believe what is most needed is not a movement coach but an equipment coach.

To, my new friend Darlene, this post is for you.  I want to say thanks for the inspiration.  I look forward to walking with you and sharing stories. 

To my readers, the miracle is that Darlene lives "just around the corner" and we never knew each other before last week.  Camino miracles continue.

So regarding the book,

I am excited to tell you that my book is now in e-format too.  For the soft cover, the publisher contact is www.authorhouse.com  You would then search Planning Your Camino to order.
Now, however, if you Google the phrase, several e-book distributors will come up including American and U.K. distributors.

Darlene said something like, the book is "chalk block full of needed information for the trip" so I hope you enjoy it.

Cheers

....is spring here yet?

2 comments:

  1. Spring is coming..slowly, but it is coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Beverly, OMG!! So nice to read another entry!You truly inspire me. I'm getting my Camino Badges sewn on,(too thick for my arthiric hands). Spring here in my neck of the woods,is Finally emerging. Looking forward to the flowering of the fruit trees,as well as the songs of those sweet little "peepers"! Keep writing! Nancy

    ReplyDelete